In 2010, the trip will take place from 1 till 13 March. The group will visit museums, galleries and meet people active in the field of contemporary art in Turkey (Istanbul), Nigeria (Lagos) and Mali (Bamako).
The Mondriaan Foundation and the Prince Claus Fund, both cultural organizations based in the Netherlands, have been organising orientation trips for art and design professionals to Asia, Latin America and Africa since 2004.
The trips are aimed at exchange and cooperation between visual art and design professionals.
While the Mondriaan Foundation invites Dutch participants, the Prince Claus Fund invites international guests. Belgian Institute of Audiovisual and Media Art (BAM) invites Flemish art professionals and the Norwegian Organisation for Contemporary Art (OCA) asks art professionals from Norway to participate.
The goal of this orientation travel is to extend international networks and contacts, and to stimulate the international dialogue between art professionals. A selected number of institutions, such as galleries and museums will be visited. With this initiative, the organizations want to contribute to a quality intercultural dialogue, stimulating future exchanges between cultural institutions and individuals in different countries.
The overall aims of the travels are:
• to provide information about the contemporary arts scene in the visited countries;
• to contribute to a better / or / concrete understanding of cultural;
• to enable the interaction between professionals from cultural institutions in the Netherlands and cultural professionals in the visited cities;
• to create a (multi-disciplinary) network for future collaborations between all parties involved;
• to offer a platform for intercultural debate;
• to increase the level of dialogue and communication via future joint ventures.
The first trip (2004) went to the Middle East (Egypt, Jordanian, Lebanon), in 2005 to China (Peking, Guangzhou en Hangzhou). In 2006 the trip let to Senegal (Biennale in Dakar) en South-Africa (Johannesburg en Cape town). In 2007 to Mexico en Curacao and in 2008 to Bangladesh (Dhaka), India (Delhi and Mumbai) and the Emirates (Dubai and Abu Dhabi). In 2009 to Brasil (Sao Paulo), Argentina (Buenos Aires) and Peru (Lima).
Link to 2009 Orientation trip South-America